Sunday, September 13, 2009

I lost my biggest gamble

I, like many 20 somethings, was gambling with health insurance. I could have even got health insurance through my work but talked it over with my mother and just thought for what I needed, it did not provide. I could save my own money for preventive medicine.

I had one of the worst periods last month. I started to cramp two days before which I thought it was karma/fate/whatever laughing at me because I had told a co-worker that I never got cramps before hand. It hurt really bad in my back. My period started but it did not get better. I just started to get cramps in the front. I started to take pain medication which I do not do. Really. I took more pills than I probably did in 2007 and 2008 combined. I only took about 10 in the first week. To get graphic for some, I had some clots but then I had a huge one 8 days in. I do not bleed that long so I went to the doctor.

I was not too worried because I thought I knew what was going on. The doctor thought it was just a hard period when he felt that my uterus was enlarged. There was a mass. He asked me twice if I wanted to have children in the future. I answered, "I do" as tears started to slid down my cheeks. I went and got a CAT scan.

I have a noncancerous (most likely) growth called a fibroid the size of an orange that might or might not have taken over my uterus. The CAT scan did not show if my uterus is tiny and still there or just totally enveloped by the fibroid. I do not have insurance and I'm not insurable at this time. I make too much money for AHCCCS so I'm going to get a personal loan. I asked the doctor how long I could wait. He said, "A month".

This has devastated me at times and been the priority in my life for the past two weeks. Work has been more supportive than I thought but still I worked a nine hour shift today where I did not get a break for 6 hours of it. I asked for a break but I only got one when I walked out of the restaurant and took it.

I will try to keep everyone posted on how it is going. I'm trying to stay positive that I will be able to get the money soon and get this surgery done this month. I will be in the hospital for two to three days. I can not work a physical job aka mine for about a month. I will want to have visitors in that time. Also, I want a job that I can sit and use the restroom when I want. Everyone please keep your eyes open. I will be working on my resume and looking harder than I have in a long time.

While this has all been going on, I have met a really nice guy. I have been dating him for two weeks and I really like him. He is a kindergarten teacher which means he can match me for energy and silliness. Well... he would match my energy level if my energy level was normal. I have been sleeping a lot. I do not know if it is mental, physical, or both. Anyway, he has added a positive note to a really rough two weeks.

1 comment:

Anali said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. I hope things work out okay, and I'll be in touch.