Thursday, September 18, 2008

No! I do not have an abusive partner.

I just fell down the stairs officer. No seriously, I fell down the stairs, how lam is that. If you remember, I fell down at the animal market last Saturday. I got a nice yellow and purple bruise below my left knee. Below my right knee, is a smaller bruise that I have no clue where I got. Well... today I fell down some stairs. The first time in my life that I can remember. I'm staying at the Rubby Hostal which is made of all wood and the stairs are very steep. I have to take my shoes off at the bottom because this is a muddy community. I was coming down and then I went down. I had slipped once before and caught myself. Not this time. My left arm is scraped and so is my back. My left buttock aches quite a bit. I'm fine. I'm just glad that I'm young enough that I did not ruin my trip by falling down stairs.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty paranoid. This litte kid came up and tried to read my screen. I asked if he could read English in Spanish. He said no but asked where I lived. I told him America. He then went back to his back and pedaled off. I have no clue why but I did double check all my possesion since I awesome everyone and anyone can be a thief. Including Girl Scouts.

I will keep on telling everyone the names of people I met but I usually only met them for a day or so. Last I wrote, I dropped Clara and Andre off at the bus stop. Clara being the German girl I lived with a week and Andre, the Russian dude. I walked back to La Luna for an awesome dinner. When I went back into the dormitory area, there were four very fun people making dinner. I asked if I could eat with them and they said yes. I meant my dinner at the table but they also invited me to eat with me. Their names were Brax and Rachel, two English girls just out of college, Nick the Australian dude, and Joe the New York man. It was a blast but I went to bed early.

I got up and did some dishes as my payment of the dinner the night before. I then ate breakfast with the four and a Switerland couple Angleica and Stefan. I grabbed a cab with the four and dropped them off at the bus station like I had done with some friends the day before. I wandered the city and that is when I meant the couple who had lived in Ecuador for 36 years. I got my laundry and took a taxi back up to the dorm. There was no one there. Sadness. I got a bit lonely and went to the main lodge for dinner. I got soup and heard a TV. Around a corner that I never went was the fun corner. This local guy was watching a Mexican comedy. I watched it while petting this huge dog named Milky. I also looked through the book collection. I started chatting with the local dude whose name is Augstin. He was cute and very sweet but I believe he has a wife. We chatted for about an hour in Spanish. He mostly talked because I'm not the greatest at talking but can understand quite a bit if people do not talk to fast. The Switerland couple came in and we all ended up talking in Spanish for two hours.

I went back to the dorm and read this horibble teenager book called The Ashleys. I finished it at 12:30pm and crashed. I ate breakfast with the Switerland couple and caught a cab with them. I then rode this bus to Quito for 2 hours. I should have jumped off at the North Side of town but I was too stubborn to ask. Instead I got off at the Terminal Terreste bus station in the south side of town. When I asked how much to get to Ofelia Staion, the driver wanted 6 dollars. NO way! I then walked through the terminal which is suppose to be one of the more dangerous places and to the Grand Plaza. By that time I had remembered that taxi´s are suppose to have meters. I caught one and in the end it cost me 5.12 dollars. It drove me all the way north and I could have saved myself like 3 dollars just by asking for help on the Otavalo bus.

Anyway, I got to the bus heading for Mindo in plenty of time. The drive was beautiful! Seeing clouds in the rainforest is a magnificant sight. I got off at 6:30pm which is when night starts in Ecuador. I told myself never to arrive at night anywhere but this town is really safe. I walked through parts looking first for Rubby hostal and then Tranqulidad. A person did not know Rubby so I thought it had stopped existening. This guy asked if I had hostal when I got off. I lied and said yes. While I was walking and looking, this little girl asks if I had a hostal and directs me to Hostal Sandy. I say no. This little boy does something similiar and then this really short man walks with me. He points to a hostal and says this is Tranquilidad but nope it is Hostal Rubby! Woohoo. It is a nice little place.

I go out for dinner and run into a group of Americans, Nick, Brian, and Heide. This is the second Nick and Brian for those keeping track. I invite myself to their table where we play Rummy and 13.

The next morning I'm used to super nice people and staff so try practcing my spanish with the girl who is making breakfast. She obviously does not want to talk. She is acually kinda rude and if I was not meeting the American group, I would have found anoher hostal.

At this moment, the internet cafe had a problem. I actually wrote this blog yesterday but it did not post. I will update more later today.

8 comments:

Anali said...

Man, I am SO looking forward to seeing pictures!

So, did you try the local coffee? For me, please, please, please please! Just thinking about it makes my brain tingle a little...mmmmmm...

kimkipling said...

Ummmm.... No. I'm sorry. I thought about it but did not see any real good places and Mindo does not have a bank. I had a tight budget but I'm sorry. :(

Roy said...

Oh go on Shilo try the coffee it will TASTE great just like real American coffee......yes i am being sarcastic.
Seriously don't do it it will still be coffee.

Sydni said...

Sorry you fell down the stairs. :( Hope you are not feeling too sore anymore!

Anonymous said...

Hey lady-
I wanted to make this comment on your last post, but I figured since I needed to catch up, it would make more sense to post it on the most recent blog--you sound like you're meeting a lot of people, having interesting conversations, experiencing new things (good and bad), eating good food-just living. I love traveling for all of these aspects and am so glad that you're getting a chance to do it too.

Sara said...

Shilo,

I am so sorry to hear that you fell down. I hope you heal fast. I am so glad that you having such a wonderful experience. I wish I could speak a second language well enough to even listen to a conversation for two hours. I am with some on the other blogs--a map of your travels. Love you.

Sara

Anonymous said...

This is Melanie but I don't have a blogspot acount.

I am just as jealous of your adventures as I thought I would be. That counts the laundry, and even the falling down the stairs. Pues, buenas aventuras, y hasta luego!

PS. Digame... nececitas usar me regalos desde ahora?

( I think I screwed up that last bit, but I figure you got me)

kimkipling said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am alright from the fall, just my pride.

Melanie, you should get account because I actually work for blogger. I think the only thing you messed up was mis regalos intsead you put me regalos but I'm not sure.

Yo entiendo. No, ha neccesitado tus (tuyos?) regalos. Espero que in el futuro pero soy timida.