Friday, September 5, 2008

Random Encounter

Yesterday I asked so many people to eat lunch with me. Nope. Everyone was busy. Before lunch, I explored the town. I was trying to get to the Museum of Olga Fisch. Do I know who Olga Fisch is? I did not at that time and I still do not. I started to walk there and I saw a roundabout. I decided I had to get into the middle. It is slightly dangerous but I made it. Oddly, there was a statue of Abhraham Lincoln. I took a picture. I thought I was one place when I was in fact further north. I wandered about slightly lost but got to the museum. It is not a museum but a small shop. It had beautiful stuff but nothing I wanted. I think Olga Fisch is an artist.

I went further south and grabbed some information about plays. I plan on seeing a comedy tomorrow. There was a beautiful blue woman statue which was also a harp. I was close to my school and stopped by. No one wanted to eat with me. I went out to find a cheap almeurzo (set lunch). I saw a sign for lunch for 2.80. Alright. I went up and they did not offer set lunches. Liars. I ordered a vegetarian plate and some cold limonade. Oh my God. It was a beautiful lunch and delicious. There was hommels with onion, avocado with dip, carrots, and red things. Also sometype of potato patty or dumpling. My words are not doing justice to this meal. I forgave them for the no set lunch.

I wandered out and decided to see the sights. I wanted to go to the Church of Santa Therista and Museum Nacional del Banco Central. I start walking down the street when this random guy hails me. I stop and we start chatting. He seems nice enough but I´m not attracted. He says he needs to practice his English so we walk. His name is Damien and he wants to be a writer. Now, he teaches salsa dancing. I thought cool, he has a nice body and knows how to dance. I could change my mind. We went to the church and then to the teatre nacional. He walked with me to the museum but said he had already seen it. I believe he did not want to spend money. I was actually glad to get rid of him.

The Damien encounter - constant touching. I have had guys flirt with me in the past so I´m use to guys touching me. He explained that in South America everyone is very touchy. I said I knew this because I had been told. He said I need to experience to really get to know the culture. He asked if I had a boyfriend. I should have said yes but I said the truth. He asked if I had kids. I said no. He offered to help me with that. Oh it is a joke yes. Please, that was annoying. I would have rather he asked me to have sex. Pairing the idea of having sex and having kids is no fun. I know that is the reproductive purpose of sex but I try to have sex without the kids.
- constant correcting. He said he wanted to practice his English and I wanted to practice my spanish. He corrected me all the time. So frustrating. I´m new to the language and I make a lot of mistakes.

Anyway, Damien went away and I explored the museum. I liked the contemporary art the best. So disturbing but it evoked more emotion from me than anything else. The lights in a room do not go on until you enter the room. I went into a room and saw in the dark other room a guy. Not any guy, but a guy with his pants at his feet. I freeze. What the hell? He does not move. I stare. okay breathe, it is only a statue. I had to look at the front. Yep, there was a penis. Very fun and very scary.

I went home, eat, and slept. I attended class this morning and I like my professor Julio mucho. I went home and dropped stuff off. First I ate at a place called Claro de Luna. Only three dollars for juice, soup, cheese, an entree (pork, potatoes, and green beans) and a dessert bread. Delicious!

I went back to Gringo Landia! I set up biking down Cotopaxi, a local volcano or Sunday. I left the agency and who should hail me? That is right! Damien. Okay, I like talking Spanish with a local.

Ye gods. Constant compliments. I just do not enjoy it. I enjoy be called beautiful but too many compliments make them worth less. We talked and he became even more direct. I said I was not look for love and he asked about sex. No! It is a joke. No it was not a joke. I said not really looking for sex but friends is fine. He basically stopped talking to me. He did get me a good deal on a used travel book.

It made me think. I do not really plan on having sex on this trip but am I even open to the possibility. I realize that yes I am but not with Damien. Too pushy. Also, I did not find him cute. Anyways, got to run because the school is closing.

4 comments:

Sydni said...

Wow, that's really strange. I have heard that guys are like that in Italy. I guess Ecuador has them too. I would have been quicker to get rid of him, I think. Sounds like you are seeing some cool stuff. Take care!

Anali said...

Glad you're holding your own, and that you're experiencing some touchy culture. Though remember that it's okay to say; "I respect your culture, but I know you just want my sex, so back off, dude."

Oo, volcanos! Take pics!

Sci-Fi Bri said...

sounds like the food is good... bring me some leftovers..


...no that would take too long... FEDex 'em.

kimkipling said...

I did not get rid of him quicker because he was actually kinda slow about the approach. Also, I will admit,I'm a bit lonely. It was nice to chat with someone.

And no worries, I can definitely say no.

Like now, no Brian, it is my food.