Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wait! This city smells?

I was sick for the first 2 days and half I was in Quito. My nose was completely stuff. The first night I actually slept because I was exhausted but the second night I woke at 3am. I stayed up for like an hour and half blowing my nose. My handkerchief is rather gross at this moment.

I live with other students of Spanish in a home stay but none of us go to the same Spanish school. The two people who own the home are Carlos and Blanca. Blanca asked me to not tell the school about the other students. All right, a bit shady to me but no big deal. Just makes talking about what I did more interesting since I cannot talk about the students as students. I mention them but just call them friends. I live With Brian (Indiana), Sarah (Italian), and Clara (German). I was chatting with Sarah and she mentioned how terrible the air was here. I looked at her. I had been walking through the city for 2 and half days, and I had no problems. She looked at me. She could not believe me.

I woke up yesterday and I could comfortably breathe through my nose! Yay! Until I walked through the city. Que terrible! It is bad. You can see black smoke coming from the buses. My throat is all scrathy but I think I know why. I will admit it was a complete surprise.

On to new stories, I was a complete tourist yesterday. I went up to see the Panecillo y Monumneto a la Virgen de Quito. It is suppose to cost 5 dollars to get a taxi up to the hill and have the person wait and then have them take you back. I went with the Switerland dude Reto and I thought he knew what he was doing. Nope. I asked for the price of the cab when we got to the top. 15! I was like No. The taxi driver would not budge. Fine. We wandered about and paid the 15. Not horrible for two people but still I do not like over paying.

I want to tell more about my day but I stopped by the school to find people to eat lunch with. This means I have to actually go talk to people. My teacher was sick today so I ended up exploring the town by myself in the morning. I plan on exploring by myself in the afternoon but I would like to eat lunch with people. Sorry about spelling and grammar. I never reread these blogs.

5 comments:

Sci-Fi Bri said...

don't breathe the air.


hope you're having a fun time.

kimkipling said...

What can I do Brian?! Really no drinking and no breathing. I am have a fun time. =0 Mostly. There are some down times.

Anonymous said...

Shilo you are fearless in a way that I shall never know. I like reading your blog, keep it up.

Carla said...

Where in Indiana is Brian from?

Unknown said...

Smog dust, don't breathe this!

I finally found out about your blog - better Nate than lever!

That's kinda funny about your homestay. I wonder if it'll be the same thing in Russia! ("Uh listen, we technically have a deal with this one company, but we have the same agreement with three others ... keep it on the DL." LOLz)