Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Phoenix Comicon - All work

I worked Comicon this year as a staff member. Last year, I was a lowly volunteer. I’m kidding about the lowly because volunteers are so important. This is something I knew, but I truly learned their importance this year. I enjoy comic conventions, but not enough to pay for with money. I pay with time. Last year, I got bored during con so decided I could increase my responsibility.

I went to staff meetings beforehand. There was good food and I met new people. I sent tedious emails. I also responded to emails and voicemails. It was fun. Okay, the tedious emails were boring, but using my brain differently than serving was good. I took five days off from my serving job to work con but really, I look for reasons to take off from work.

The reasons I go to comic conventions –
Look at costumes
Look at celebrities (only look at. I walk by, get a bit giddy, and walk on.)
Talk to people I only see at conventions but I love them, so great times
Hang out with my friends
Listen to panels about writing and voice acting
Talk to writers
Stare at writers during panels and think “that is what I want to do”

I’m starting to self identify as a writer so next year I might pay and not be involved with the running of the convention at all. This is because I do not go to conventions to check people in the whole time at Check In Will Call for professionals, staff, volunteers, and media. When it was crazy on Thursday afternoon, I was excited. I love having nonstop issues and people to deal with. I am not the person you go to when it is slow. I also saw so many people I knew from other places like two attractive co-workers from my time at Bookman’s. I wished I had time to flirt with them more.

I was scheduled for 12 hours to work on Saturday. Uh, No. I negotiated not working that many hours at con, but I’m highly competent and manage my health including stress levels very well. This means that when people start to get sick or stressed out, I was called. I started to get annoyed. I trained so many volunteers to do my position. I have an eye and sense on who can be trusted and can think. Once I got my position covered, I would be asked to step in for a second elsewhere. It was never a second.

If this blog was written right after con, I would have told everyone that I was never working this convention again. I am unsure now. I do not want to work registration. I have the skills to do that job and I desire to learn new skills. I’m volunteering my time so I can expand my knowledge. I still enjoyed con. My brother is simply amazing. We attended many panels together and walked with the zombies. Phoenix Comicon - Part Two the Fun Attack will be coming soon to a screen near you.

No comments: