Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mundane Life

I stopped in Cuenca to have some since of normality and stability. Lately I was getting restless. Anyone that knows me that this seems to be standard for me. I have not experienced it on the trip nor had I experienced much boredom. Periods of boredom - yes. For some reason, the one hour bus rides are the worst but the 5 to 8 hours are not that bad. Well, I got some feeling of normal but it was not quite what I wanted. What reared its ugly head was my Restlessness. The idea of traveling on did not cure it.

It was really bad when I was young. I drove my family crazy. I would wander around the house just looking around and maybe grumbling. I would complain to my family that I was bored. Mom, "Why don't you clean your room or do the dishes or etc?" "Why don't I poke a sharp object in my eye?" This was during the angry stage of my life or from about 10 to 20. I did get more tactful in the later stages. People would offer suggestions. My brain would offer suggestions. Video games, books, clean, dance, play with the pets, garden, something completely new? lie what? I do not know. (This is a conversation with myself). All ideas were not good enough. I slowly learned how to calm that beast.

The answer revolves around music, the outdoors, and/or physical exertion. I discovered that for some reason I absloutely adore Dvorak. Dancing seems to relax that part of my brain that is crazy. Or hiking outdoors. Yoga also does it, but not quite as well as hiking or dancing. The crazy part of my brain thinks "I SHOULD be doing something." That is what has been happening the past week.

Does it matter that I'm taking Spanish courses? Nope not enough. This is why I have so much going on and how I get so much done at home. I think about volunteering, learning to dance, or trying to make more friends. I am doing that last one but I tried harder. It is harder here since I'm temporary and have less options than Phoenix. I wanted to go home pretty bad as well for the past week, but that part has released for now. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I'm on vacation and I'm enjoying myself. I will be more friendly with people. But if I do not hang out with anyone else, no problem. I'm getting a tiny bit excited for Peru.

Restless uncleached for a bit but it will always be there. I leave Cuenca in a week. I feel like I'm playing house with Antonio and I love it. I'm getting to attached but I knew that would happen coming in. We had a serious conversation about me living. He called it my "rules" so I discussed it with him. I have to leave because it is the law. Technically I guess I could marry him to stay but NO. Did he want a long distance relationship? Nope. Me neither. All right, not just my rules but reality. Now back to playing house for a week. Today we went shopping for food and tonight he is going to make chili while I try to make guacomole for the first time.

I also am going through my photos. They will soon be in order and in the right direction. Seeing the pictures reminds me of all the things I have done and how beautiful Ecuador is. I hope I'm taking enough photos of Cuenca. Never mind, I'm taking pictures when something catches my eye. I will take pictures of the house I'm staying at and maybe the family.

I look forward to seeing everyone in the future. I honestly look forward to looking for a job and working. So weird.

No comments: