Monday, November 10, 2008

Riding in the Front of the Bus

Remember when riding in the front of the bus meant you were a loser or good-to-shoes or just go on to late. Not yesterday! As you might have been able to tell, I was feeling trapped in Cuenca. So what did I do? I left!

Not for long, just a day trip. I want to learn more Spanish and I can feel that I'm ready to learn more. I decided to go to Ignapirca, an insteresting antropological site. Antonio walked with me to the bus station. (Bus stations here by the way can be amazing. They are well organized. Busses are really important here so the terminals can feel like minature airports except for the on in Guayaquil which is bigger than their airport.) Ciao. I'm off.

I just chilled in the bus for two hours as I'm on my way to Canar. The view is beautiful. Ecuador is poor and maybe they do not know or notice but the views are gorgeous. Everything was really green and hilly. I get to Canar feeling confident. Then I wandering around for a place to eat. I'm the only white person that I see in all of Canar. I forgot how lonely traveling can be. I love it. And I'm totally comfortable by myself which is a good thing because really I do not talk to that many people in a day. It depends but usually around 1 or 2 for a good conversation. The same old conversation of where are you from, where have you been, where are you going, how long are you traveling and etc can happen quite a bit but still only about 1 to 4 times a day depending on the hostal and surroundings. This trip reminds me why I wanted to stop somewhere and just rest. I was getting restless not making friends but have to remember that it is pretty normal for traveling.

I eat at a cheap joint in Canar, which might have been a mistake. I also got reminded what traveler's diarreaa is last night. Fun! I also got to use a restroom that was at the bottom of a narrow stairway in the basement that did not have a light, toliet paper, water for washing hands, or soap. Actually pretty typical except for the light situation. I love my hand sanitizer. I get done with the lunch and get to wander around the area asking for the right bus. Most people are friendly but have no clue. Kinda like asking for directions in the States. I was directed to a bus that said Tambo express, not going to Ingapirca, off to Tambo. Makes sense. The bus driver says I can go with him and it is on the way, but nah. I wandered around that intersection because it is the place to be. The driver I talked to honks and directs me to the bus next to him that just showed up. Run across traffic ( a bit dangerous since pedestrains do not have the right away) and jump on a crowded bus. Directed up front by the driver! Very exciting because it is new. (Kinda reminds me when I rode a motorcycle for the first time in Vilcabamba. Motorcycle was more fun but both thrilling). I end up making change for the driver and just enjoying myself throughly.

I get to Ingapirca. Hmmm, old stuff. I do not care. Lovely and I'm glad I came but really I do not care. I take a hike to look at old rocks and the view is just sublime. There is a creek but in the distance a river in a valley and everything is green. Everything is green because it rains a lot which is shown by all the mud around. And on my shoes. I look at the rocks. There are just rocks with moss. I will take a picture of a rock to show everyone how it looks like a rock. Alright, look a the photo. Dangit! I can see the face. Well that proves nothing.

I took the bus back to Cuenca and I feel recharged. I'm going to change my flight today and it is only costing me 480. 100 dollars cheaper than last time. It was 432 on the weekend and I was hoping it would decrease more but does not appear to be.
Ciao

No comments: