Saturday, November 22, 2008

UPDATE! What is my life like in Cuenca?

UPDATE! I was so nervous about the flea situation. I think I found one in my long underwear and I shoved them into a plastic bag. I was itching all night, and I kept waking Antonio all night long. In the morning around 7am, I examined every inch of my body for bites. None new ones! One or two must have jumped on my long underwear on the one day I wore them out (it was cold) and bite me in the night. I was so happy. No fleas! and I did not have to clean so much. Whew.

I called my brother. I wanted to talk to him because our last conversation involved me being very angry because it was about Whiskers. It was actually a miscommunication on my mom's part that made me thought that Whiskers had been sick or dead longer than she had been. I had not talked to my brother for about 4 days and I wanted him to know I was not angry. He then asked me an interesting question.

What is life in Cuenca?

Hmmm... I have a feeling that I have been away to long to see the differences. I do not even think about differences that much anymore. Okay, sometimes. I get up in the morning next to a guy. That is different. I usually get up first unless he has to work that morning. He is nice and sweet, but not the guy for me later in life. I usually chat with him. I then wander downstairs. I have to run the gauntlet. Greeting everyone that I see and saying "No I do not want whatever (eggs, wierd beans, coffee, etc). I like hot chocolate and bread. No, no I do not need more bread. Gracias, no tengo hambre." The day then depends on whether I have school and what Antonio has to do.

Life is really not that different here for me. I do not work nor do I feel like I have to get a job but that is the vacation life for you. It is a bit different because I have never lived with another family other than my own. I love it. I enjoy randomly have encounters with the 5 year old girl or 3 year old boy (or sometimes both together). They are a bit spoiled in the house but they are learning poco a poco that I can be fun but if you do not listen then I do not play. The dad is really nice if a bit preoccupied for my safety. He and Marta (the mom) treat me similiarly to a daughter but one they cannot understand that well. The grandmom is really cute. She could not remember my name so asked everyone (which I could hear) and finally reintroduced herself so she could ask my name. The family has really gotten used to me being there and I think they will be sad to see me go. So family are still the same. There is family politics that they mostly try to ignore or hide from me, but it is still there. There is pressure to eat and people worry for your well being.

Otherwise, outside of the house, it is on the normal side for traveling. It is a bit hard to gauge because I do not work or have volunteer projects. I have school which is teaching me quite a bit of spanish. I get frustrated and angry more easy like I do at home (and unlike how I have been since travel so maybe a byproduct of living somewhere). I use the internet quite a bit and listen to music. I read. This morning I stayed snug in bed, warm and cozy, for two hours reading. Felt just like home. I still clean. Antonio is so neat. Blah! I only make beds so that no dirt gets on the sheets and to make it easy to get in. It does not need to be pretty! I hang out with mostly Antonio and his friends. I would make more of my own if I was actually living here.

Differences - the bathroom. I may have never told you this, but I judge you by your bathroom. I want it clean (does not have to sparkle but no growing or moving things). I want running water, soap, and a towel for my hand. I hate not have soap or a towel! If you do not have soap or a towel, part of me dislikes you. If you are a close friend, I will give you a hard time. Oh yeah, toliet paper! These things are luxuries in Ecuador. Running water usually happens but no guarantees. It is similiar in Antonio's house. We buy our own toliet paper and I hoard it. No sharing. I will share my cheese and other food, but sharing toliet paper with a household of 10 means I get none. I usually remember to bring my own soap and towel with me. I look forward to having my own bathroom.

They love starch (Ecuador in general). A meal is meat and rice, bread, and sometime of corn thing, and/or potatoes. Seriously, I like starch but vegetables are so yummy.

In general, I feel the same. I get bored and restless. I still clean and interact with other people. I still do my favorite hobbies. The only biggest difference is no pets and no bass. I miss music. Hopefully this gives you a small glimpse of how I live.
Ciao.

1 comment:

Anali said...

I, too, judge people by their bathrooms.